Sunday, July 26, 2009

Final Reflections with Love from Valerie

Our final full day in Zambia is coming to a close. We are all ready and excited to be returning home. That's not because it's been a bad experience, on the contrary! We are all just worn out by all we've done in the past three weeks. Looking back, I am amazed at how much I've learned in such a short time. Leaving the U.S. I never thought I would be doing things like taking vitals, prescribing medicine, or hiking 7+ kilometers through the African bush (just to see A patient, and their goats!) But I've done all of these things and so much more! I will be drawing from this experience for the rest of my life.
Seeing how medicine is handled here in Zambia has made me realize that there is a real need in developing countries for the career path I have chosen. Until now my desire to use my pharmacy degree internationally to reach areas that need medicinal aid has just been a far off dream. Now, however, my long-term goals are becoming reality in light of all I've seen in the clinics and home based care. I have been given a renewed determination because I have seen that my hard work is needed and will be worthwhile in the end.
Thank you Family and Friends for all of your support and prayers! And Thank you especially to Dr. M for all that you put in to make this possible for all of us, you are truly Great!!
With Love,
"Veralee"

No comments:

Post a Comment