Saturday, July 11, 2009


Today KC, Holly, and I went to the craft market in Livingstone. Each stall has a different crafts person who makes his or her own products. I bought a large bag to be my purse while I am here earlier in the week, and these ladies wanted to see if they could find one they liked as well.

Today and tomorrow we have the day off. The rest of the group went for elephant rides while we were in town, and they said they had a great time. Tomorrow we are headed to the falls!

I have enjoyed my first week in Zambia immensely. On Wed., Thurs., and Fri., I worked in two different medical clinics. The first one, Mosi-oa-Tunya was very nice. I was able to help a nurse who was giving check-ups to children under 5 years old and their mothers. I weighed babies and helped the mothers fill out their child's information/medical cards. India was with me and she worked in the Dispensary filling medication for patients. On Thurs. and Fri. I was at Maramba clinic, which is the largest and busiest in Livingstone. On Thurs. Laura and I took vitals and on Fri. Holly and I did the same. We took patients blood pressure, temp, and weight. Laura and I did not have a working thermometer so I took blood pressure while she got people weighed. When it became less busy, she helped weigh babies, and I continued to take vitals. I think there were around 50 who came through the Outpatient Department that day. Holly and I were able to get two thermometers working, so things went a little smoother for us. She took BP while I weighed and took temps. I have really enjoyed working in the clinics, but I am anxious to help with home-based care.

In the afternoons I have helped with the adult literacy classes, worked on the Maramba Farm, and helped dig a trench where a wall will be erected. I also hope to be able to work in the Maramba Home for Old People next week. All of the students who have seem to really like it.

I am relly excited about starting a new week on Monday, but the rest and relaxation today and tomorrow are greatly appreciated!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment